[pdftex] Commenting on PDFs

James Quirk jjq at galcit.caltech.edu
Thu Nov 8 16:58:46 CET 2007

On Thu, 8 Nov 2007, Duncan Hothersall wrote:

> Odd that you couldn't find an answer going through the archives, because
> this question comes up every few months; when I searched on "comments" I
> got several hits which answered this FAQ.
>
> The answer is no, you can't enable commenting with pdftex.

I gave an answer to this a while back on comp.text.tex:

   http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/msg/5b67b470cb476816

and as an update it has to be said that the approach I used in Perl could
easily be reimplemented in Lua and run from LuaTeX. However, I do not
believe it is legal to do so. As an aside, I actually prefer to annotate
PDF's using a custom markup language, rather than Adobe's gui.
For details, see:

   http://www.amrita-cfd.org/doc/fold::markup

Moreover, now that I have program folds working in LuaTeX, fold::markup
will one day be available from Latex i.e. no Amrita needed. I say one day
as I'm waiting on some LuaTeX internals to sort themselves out. In the
meantime I'm working on a document that describes how I added
re-entrant, program-folds to LuaTeX. Progress is much slower than I would
have hoped, but a draft should be available this side of Christmas
(sorry Hans, Taco, Victor I got carried away with walkthrough directory
listings and other novelties, so my original estimate was wildly inaccurate).

James