[pdftex] Spacing between letters ---plain pdftex

jonathan d p ferguson jdpf at sunforge.com
Sat Jun 30 18:10:35 CEST 2007

hi.

On Jun 29, 2007, at 4:43 AM, Robin Fairbairns wrote:

> jonathan d p ferguson <jdpf at sunforge.com> wrote:
>
>> As an aside, I observe that Latin Modern lacks a true
>> Italic face, offering only an Oblique face (of course, this maps to
>> "italic" most of the time, but it isn't really italic, it's oblique,
>> or in the parlance of DEK: slanted).
>
> not being a font expert, i'm interested in this assertion.
> how do you justify it, in light of the very high degree of visual
> similarity between computer modern and latin modern text italic?

Apologies, my observation made claims beyond the data, my mistake.
Latin Modern most definitely includes Italic Roman, and Typwriter
faces. I was confused by Font Book, as it maps a number of Oblique
Latin Modern faces to "Italic." In my own effort to not be confused
by Font Book, I got confused. My error was politely pointed out to me
by Stephen Moye off-list.

I happily stand corrected, because I like Latin Modern.  ;)

Thanks!

have a day.yad
jdpf