[pdftex] pdtex + latex + cygwin (or linux)

Kewley, J (John) j.kewley at dl.ac.uk
Mon Jul 23 14:55:22 CEST 2007

Hi,

I am keen to try out the various typgraphical extensions and
justification
alternatives that I have read are available with pdftex.

I write in LaTeX, mainly under cygwin.

Does anyone know the easiest way to install pdftex so it doesn't
interfere
with the existing [La]TeX installation that is already there for cygwin.
This would probably mean installing it within my own space, i.e. a
non-root build
and install.

I have a full installation of cygwin. I am familiar with writing and
using LaTeX, but
not the vagaries of how fonts are installed.

In the past I have used dvips followed by ps2pdf on cygwin

Cheers

JK