[pdftex] UTF8 / TTF failing in TOC

Marius & Marieke Doornenbal marius at doornenbal.org
Wed Jan 31 13:18:14 CET 2007

Dear colleagues,

Since a while I have been using Gentium and Charis (both from SIL) in
PDFlatex.
Gentium does not have a bold face, but I replace that with Charis by
just putting in:

\DeclareTruetypeFont{gentium}{genr}
\DeclareTruetypeFontShape{gentium}{m}{it}{geni}
\DeclareTruetypeFontShape{gentium}{bx}{n}{chrb}
\DeclareTruetypeFontShape{gentium}{bx}{it}{chrbi}

All works great.
The way to set it up I had copied from http://ipe.compgeom.org/pdftex.html
but sadly, that link is dead by now (if anyone knows an alternative?)

So far so good, but there is a problem with my TOC.
I combine Gentium / Charis with using  UTF8 (I use IPA symbols a lot), using

\usepackage[utf8ttf]{inputenc}
\usepackage{ttfucs}

Now this really mucks things up.
Diacritics defined with \' notation come through OK in the index;
however, other symbols (eng, schwa, etc.)
just disappear and give a lot of warnings.

Anyone have a clue?

Problem file attached.

Thanks a million,

Marius Doornenbal, Netherlands