[pdftex] a wrapper for using pdftex as a library call

Thanh Han The hanthethanh at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 10:54:04 CET 2007

many thanks for a very informative response; I know little
about system programming.

I don't dare to make something very generic and secure.
My initial thought is that this wrapper can ease the task
converting a tex file to something else using pdftex or a
tex-related program (I wanted to use the name 'runtex' for
the wrapper but googling it found too many results).
A developer who is not a tex guru can deploy this task via a
well-defined API, and tex-specific issues can be (partly)
hidden from him.

I assume a few things as:

- the application using runptex should not have
  setuid/setgid flag, and should not be run by root or a
  privileged user.

- it's the responsibility of the application to ensure that
  the working dir are safe; for example the working
  dir must not be world-writable like /tmp, but rather a
  directory belongs to the process owner like $HOME/tmp or
  something similar.

- there are some restrictions about paths and filenames:
  filename (without path) can contain only letters, digits
  and [-_.], path can contain the same plus path separator
  and space.

- the main target plaform is linux; support for other
  platform is not mandatory if it's too difficult to do.

Do you find those assumptions reasonable, or they are too
much?

> I assume your 'run_pdftex' interface is synchronous.  IMO It would be at
> least required to have an asynchronous version as well.  I.e., a version
> where you initiate the start and then later independently query and if
> necessary wait for the result.  The reason is obvious: the program can
> do work on its own while TeX is running.  Parallelism is extremely
> important going forward.

point taken

> And an implementation detail: _never_ expose data structures unless it
> is really, *REALLY* needed.  I'm talking here about the
> pdftex_data_struct, of course.
> [...]

point taken

> case (BTW: why not return an error code and not just success/failure
> information from the functions, then you don't have to pass a pointer to
> the tmp variable to pds_print_error).

I want to keep the error code and message inside the data
structure, so that application can decide what to do with
them. I also find it handy to for error handling in
subroutines. For example if I use a check_path() subroutine
inside init_pdftex_data() to check whether a path is valid,
I can set the error code and message inside the check_path()
function, which is simpler than to examine the return code
of check_path() in init_pdftex_data(). And a simple return
code is not enough informative, one often needs to report
more detailed information than a return code, something
like:

opening tex file `/home/thanh/tex/foo.tex' for reading failed: file not found.

> Anyway, if you make this change the information about the struct is
> completely encapsulated in your code.  This is important for
> maintainability since it gives you the opportunity to change the
> implementation as much as you want as long as the function interfaces
> remain the same.

agree

> About pds_print_error_and_exit: such an interface is usually not useful
> except in tiny little programs.  Assume you write a graphical shell for
> TeX.  You don't want to terminate the program after a failed run, the
> user should be able to fix problems and rerun.  What is needed, though,
> is the ability to show an error string.  So, what maybe is needed is to
> have a function which returns an error string which can be printed in
> the appropriate way (on terminal, in dialog box, whatever).

yes this function is little useful -- it's intended for
testing/debugging purpose. Applications should handle the
error in their way, using the error code and message stored
in pdftex_data_struct.

> About the interface naming: C's flat namespace is crowded.  To minimize
> the risk of conflicts you should standardize on a common prefix for all
> function and type names and stick with it.  E.g.,
>
>   pdftex_data_struct       ->       pdftexlib_data_struct
>   init_pdftex_data         ->       pdftexlib_data_init
>   pds_print_error_and_exit ->       pdftexlib_error
>   run_pdftex               ->       pdftexlib_run
>
>  you get the idea.

agree. I will add runptex_ prefix to all relevant names.

Thanh