[pdftex] bug with included transparent graphics

Martin Schröder martin at oneiros.de
Mon Dec 31 12:53:13 CET 2007

2007/12/30, James Quirk <jjq at hmx.galcit.caltech.edu>:
> After looking inside the PDF I generate at my end (I'm using pdftex
> 1.40.3-2.2) it looks like the /SMask for the png image is affecting the
> whole page. For instance, one can comment out "/Im1 Do" from the page
> stream, to suppress the png image, and the color for page 2 is still
> affected. On the other hand, if the /SMask is commented out of
> the png's /XObject then the png is drawn without transparency (the cutout
> appears as a red square) and the color for page 2 is correct.
> I havn't yet fully digested the PDF Reference to know whether
> AR is at fault or pdftex is generating erroneous PDF.
> Martin do you have a feel for which it is?

No. But I wouldn't be surprised if AR needs the same kind of magic as
with page groups (i.e. an image with a /Group key works only on a Page
with a /Group key), i.e. an image with /SMask needs some magic in the
Page object to work correctly. Or it's simply a bug in AR8 at Linux.

Can anybody please confirm the behaviour on Windows or MacOS?

Best
   Martin