[pdftex] Forbidding hyphenation at end of page.

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Sat Aug 25 09:38:04 CEST 2007

On Aug 24, 2007, at 20:39, John R. Culleton wrote:

> TeX and LaTeX have no effective mechanism for forbidding hyphenation
> at the end of a page. Presumably this applies to pdftex, Context etc.
> as well. The base TeX program is frozen forever, but pdftex is not.
> It conintues to evolve with addons. This could be such an addon, but
> it would require surgery to the pagemaking code and possibly the
> hyphenation code.  It could be in the nature of an increased penalty
> or a binary switch.

As a first step, one would have to detect the fact that a hyphenated
word ended up
on a page (or spread) break. Reporting this as a warning (pretty much
like a badness)
would be a start, at least for manual intervention.

As far as I can see, one would need to consider page breaks at the
level of the
justification and hyphenation algorithm, for blocks that span a
chapter, or more if
your chapters do not start at a new page. This means major surgery
for the J&H code,
and a first step would be to have ideas for this (because you still
want to typeset on
a grid, and have completely filled pages). That's hard.

Maarten