[pdftex] PTEX.FileName contains file system information

Peter Schmitt peter.schmitt at univie.ac.at
Tue Aug 7 17:12:06 CEST 2007

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007, Stephan Hennig wrote:
> Hans Hagen schrieb:
>> Stephan Hennig wrote:
>> i see not problem with adding a
>> \ptexinfo=0|1
>> with 1 being the default (since we don't want to break downward
>> compatibiity).
>
> FWIW, this doesn't solve the problem of /unintentionally/ revealing
> sensitive information, such as the name of an information source, e.g.,
[]
> such as, e.g., XMP data.  Data relevant for the work-flow shouldn't be
> archived, by default, since it may be sensitive information.

[]
> I did not get much support for my proposal, so I think I should be
> satisfied with a new primitive.  No need to discuss this further.
> Honestly, thanks for your work on pdfTeX!

Well, I agree.

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007, Hans Hagen wrote:
> well, changed to pdftex are to be upward compatible, so this is the most
> we can do; maybe the macro package you use is less strick and will
> disable ptex by default or at least provide means to set this system wide

Upward compatibilty is very important, but it should not be a dogma:
In a case like this -- which does not even concern the typesetting --
adding a switch (either a commandline switch or a primitive to be set)
should be considered as correcting a bug (an oversight), and
the default setting should be the more cautious choice.
(A message in the logfile could be added.)

Best regards,
----
Peter Schmitt                                Peter.Schmitt at UniVie.ac.at