[pdftex] pdftex deterministic?

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at arcor.de
Mon Apr 2 23:48:25 CEST 2007

Thanh Han The schrieb:
> I have made a script to compare 2 pdfs, which I use to
> quickly test whether a new version of pdftex produces
> different output from the previous version. The script use
> gs or pdftoppm to generate all pages of the pdfs as bitmaps,

Rasterizing a DIN A4 page at a resolution of 4,736,287 dpi matching
TeX's smallest unit 1 sp = 65536 pt results in an image size of
55,548,815 x 39,158,279 pixels ca. 247 TB per page b/w.  I couldn't
afford that.  Could resolutions smaller than 4,736,287 dpi be sufficient
to get reliable results?

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig