[pdftex] Bug? of pdftex beta upon reading some truetype?

Dohyun Kim nomosnomos at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 08:56:03 CEST 2006

I have recently installed pdftex beta on my Linux box. But I am
puzzled by a strange behavior of newly installed pdftex. For your
test, I've put a minimal tarball (1.6M) to a server:

http://210.94.201.157/~nomos/KTUG/truetypetest.tar.gz

On my i686 Linux machine, compiling the following file (which is
included in the tarball above) with pdftex beta version 20060906 fails
with Segmentation Fault.

====================
%\pdfmapline{+ounbtb4e <ounbtb4e.enc <UnDotumBold.ttf} %%% it works.
\pdfmapline{+ounbtb at Unicode@ <UnDotumBold.ttf}         %%% it segfaults.
\font\mytt=ounbtb4e\relax
\mytt
\char0
\char1
\bye
====================

Messages upon compiling:

$ pdftex tttest.tex
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592-1.40.0-beta-20060906 (Web2C 7.5.5)
entering extended mode
(./tttest.tex{/var/lib/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}{Unicode.sfd}
[1] )</usr/share/texmf-texlive/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr10.pfb><UnDotumBold.tt
f세그멘테이션 오류

When I use the first-line, which is currently commented out, instead
of the second, compiling succeeds.

What really puzzles me is that the same file as above has been
complied flawlessly on my PowerPC iBook laptop. So I am not sure
whther it is a bug of pdftex beta or my personal mistake. I hope the
latter be the case.

Can anybody reproduce the same problem on your Linux box?

Dohyun Kim