[pdftex] off or boundary topic ?

Thierry Bouche thierry.bouche at ujf-grenoble.fr
Wed Oct 25 14:27:12 CEST 2006

Hi pdftexers,

  A question more addressed to PDF experts than to pdftex developers,
  but the latter should be part of the former??

  What do you think about http://www.vitrium.com/ and protectedpdf, etc.?

  Looking at the file
  http://www.vitrium.com/whitepapers/Beyond_DRM_by_Vitrium.pdf with
  enfocus object browser, I realize that it is all done in javascript,
  and that the actual content of "protected/restricted to logged people"
  pages is in fact in a javascript object present on a hidden layer (you
  can even search --and eventually find!-- that text). So I wonder if
  they are really able of doing what they advertise (removing the
  content of an expired file, updating it): do you think it is possible?

  I personally think that, if this kind of technology were to be used by
  *publishers*, then the whole idea of library, culture and shared
  knowledge would be at risk...

Best,
 Thierry