[pdftex] ToUnicode map and virtual fonts

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Tue Oct 3 11:06:07 CEST 2006

> Most of the problems mentioned can be solved by following
> http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/opentype/index_glyph.html,
> which is not very hard.

Yes.

> > . I dislike the automatic handling of `small', `oldstyle',
> >   `inferior', and `superior' suffixes which is against the AGL
> >   rules.  Fonts which don't follow the AGL need a bundle of calls
> >   to \pdfglyphtounicode anyway, so why does this exception exist?
>
> I cannot see why this is bad. I stole the idea from somewhere in the
> Internet (sorry I cannot exactly recall where it is; I only remember
> it comes from some documentation about an XSL-FO processor). This
> actually saves us from many calls to \pdfglyphtounicode, as such
> names are pretty common in opentype fonts and cannot be considered
> as exceptions IMO. Do you have an example when this causes problem?

Well, the list of `official' glyph names which contains `small' in its
names (like `Asmall') is Adobe's glyphlist.txt.  This list is frozen.
Any other font which contains glyphs with a trailing `small' in its
name is non-standard which consequently means that you need a bunch of
\pdfglyphtounicode calls anyway.  However, this is my personal
opinion.

Which OpenType fonts do you have in mind if you say `such names are
pretty common'?  Normally, glyphs like `Asmall' are called `A.small'
in recent fonts.

    Werner