[pdftex] Font Embedding and Font Substitutions

Hartmut Henkel hartmut_henkel at gmx.de
Mon Nov 27 23:19:11 CET 2006

Hi Paarvai,

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006, Paarvai Naai wrote:

> One more question:  I see that the font substitution changes what was
> a Type 1C font in the image PDF files into a Type 1 font in the main
> document PDF.  Is this more inefficient since Type 1C is "compressed"
> in some way?

yes, and also here is room for optimization. Sure the wish is to have
Type 1C writing also, but that isn't there yet (volunteers welcome!).
Still replacing several Type 1C fonts by one Type 1 font often is more
compact than embedding the individual Type 1C fonts. You can check the
gain by removing the 2nd field of the relevant font entry in the map
file; then no font replacement will be done.

Regards, Hartmut