[pdftex] pdfTeX executable for Windows

Jerzy B. Ludwichowski Jerzy.Ludwichowski at uni.torun.pl
Tue May 9 15:05:00 CEST 2006

Hello,

In my application (university admissions) I have to generate several
thousands of pdf pages with pdftex "while you wait" on a windows machine. The
test run of over 6000 pages (and more might be wanted) takes about 4,5
minutes CPU (there are tables involved) on an otherwise empty machine with a
1GHz processor. I tried to look into shortening the time but it seems that we
have to live with it.  Generating dvi pages is unsignificantly shorter but
the total time to generate dvi and then to convert dvi into pdf with dvipdfm
is even bigger than the direct route.

Here comes the problem: when spying on the performance of tex and pdftex I
found that the pdftex executable (3.14159-1.00b-pretest-20020211 (Web2c
7.3.7x) -- ancient :-( ) generates in my evironment around 1400-1600 page
faults per second in the said run while tex does none!  This shouldn't be a
problem when runing alone but might create disturbing disk traffic (swapping
interference) in a multiuser environment (our case). Also, at times, several
pdftex runs are needed simultaneously i.e., by user request which aggravates
the situation. Both tex (26 MB) and pdftex (42 MB) fit totally into the main
memory.

There should be (?) something  that one should set/unset when creating the
pdftex executable for windows which is done for tex and not done for pdftex,
that creates the described efect.

Any ideas/help?

Best regards,

Jerzy Ludwichowski

P.S. I didn't try a more recent version of pdftex :-(