[pdftex] Converting images to Beziers (was: Best bitmap image format?)

Michael Chapman pdftex at mchapman.com
Wed Mar 22 09:30:01 CET 2006

On Monday 27 February 2006 12:08 pm, Martin Schröder wrote:
> On 2006-02-27 09:16:28 +0000, Michael Chapman wrote:
> > 	I've been searching for software to convert monochrome silhouettes into
> > vector graphics (other than producing silly multi-pointed polygons and no
> > curves).
> > 	For the moment I'm doing by hand with Xfig. It produces very nice file
> > sizes and exports as PDF (again attempts at exporting/converting to SVG
> > have just resulted in silly multi-pointed polygons  ---the philosophy
> > seems to be from the same school as producing 3-D humans in image from
> > lots of flat triangular tiles . . . ).
> >
> > 	What creation/conversion tools (preferably for Linux) is anyone else
> > using?
>
> kvec, http://www.kvec.de/
>
> Best
>     Martin

The delay in saying "thanks" has been while I experimented with Kvec.

It is a very nice and a very powerful tool.

My (perhaps primitive) attempts though have only produced more _polygons_ and
not the Bezier curves I wanted. Suspect what I am dreaming of is going to be
some advanced 'artificial intelligence' software (I can do the curve fitting
'by eye', I just hoped to automate it ...).

Gimp is promising "SIOX, the Simple Interactive Object eXtraction tool ...
for detecting shapes in an image" for the 2.4 release. That may be
interesting.

Would be happy to hear of any other Silhouette to Bezier-curve
converters/extractors that anyone knows of.

Thanks again,

	Michael Chapman