[pdftex] "Grouping" glyphs

Geoffrey Alan Washburn geoffw at cis.upenn.edu
Thu Mar 16 17:41:59 CET 2006

Hi everyone.  Consider the following contrived example where I am
creating a "new" mathematical symbol out of other glyphs.

\documentclass{article}
\newcommand{\mysym}{\ensuremath{|\!\!=}}
\begin{document}
\[\mysym\]
\end{document}

This works just fine visually, but it has the problem that \mysym is not
treated "atomically".  If I open the resulting PDF in Acrobat Reader and
search for "=" it will find the = that is part of my new "glyph".
Semantically it shouldn't be consider any "=" anymore, it is part of
some new "glyph".

Is there some pdfTeX magic that I can use to make \mysym appear to be
"atomic" to PDF searching?

Thanks.