[pdftex] Re: Best bitmap image format?

gnwiii at gmail.com gnwiii at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 20:23:09 CET 2006

On 2/28/06, Olivier Lefevre <lefevrol at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > The "size" problem in the sample image may be a result of the vendor
> > assuming a certain "dots-per-inch" for the display.
>
> It turned out to be due to their assumption that you wanted to "convert"
> your snapshot to the 8x11.5" ratio of the printed page, e.g., if your
> snapshot is half of the screen, it should take half of the page. Crazy,
> for more than one reason. I couldn't find any other snapshot tool that
> will save directly to PDF, so I'll be experimenting with PNG and TIFF.

Why can't you use pdfcrop.pl or pdftrimwhile.pl to get rid of extra
whitespace and then use \includegraphics or similar to scale the pdf's
in your document?

What about looking a way to get a proper (e.g., vector graphics) metafile?
If you have access to the application source, see

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/gdi/metafile_13s5.asp

for code to get metafiles.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia