[pdftex] cmex9 comes out pixelated (Miktex 2.5 installation out of the box)

Peter Schröder ps at cs.caltech.edu
Fri Jul 21 19:35:39 CEST 2006

I just did a brand new installation of Miktex 2.5 beta 13 on my windows
machine (after uninstalling 2.4 first and choosing the "tidy" option)
and found that I get pk fonts for integral fences and sums. I kept all
the defaults in the installation and did nothing beyond the basic
install. I rummaged around a bit in the psfonts files to see that cmex10
goes to an outline font (expected behavior) but cmex9 (and cmex7) invoke
the pk generation machinery.

Is this expected behavior? How do I remedy this? My goal is to have
outlines only (as the default seems to suggest since it has
preferoutlines set to true).

Here is a minimal example (invoke with "pdflatex test"):

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\begin{document}
\small
\[
\int X_D(\omega)\,d\lambda_1^3(\omega)=\sum_i \mu_2^3(R_i).
\]
\end{document}