What about TFM ? (was Re: [pdftex] Math Pdftex extensions ?)

Paul Pichaureau paul.pichaureau at alcandre.net
Mon Jan 16 08:23:27 CET 2006

Le dimanche 15 janvier 2006 à 23:33:15, vous écriviez :

HH> i'm not so sure of that; maybe not tfm, but by means of primitives, we
HH> need to be able to tweak font/glyph characteristics; also, we nee dto be
HH> able to 'create new fonts or combinations of glyphs'; open type fonts
HH> may not be complete, not be suitable for a task etc; probably most open
HH> type fonts  can be used out of the box then, but  tex(ies) have a
HH> reputation of a need-to-tweak

We don't need new primitive here, since virtual fonts can do most of
the job.

HH> Hans

Let's dream a little: pdftex could be able to understand directly an
opentype font. I mean : reencode it if needed, produce the tfm
on-the-fly, and, if a virtual font is provided, use it.

For the end-user, it is the perfect scenario: all the otf file he
stores in a directory are immediately usable by tex.

Of course, in a first time, some features are not accessible, some
characters could be missing, etc. In this case, some guru will produce
one day a good virtual file, with all the tweaking needed, and the
whole font is usable with only two files ! (Yes, I'm dreaming !).

--
  Paul Pichaureau