[pdftex] not all JPEGs are the same???

Todd Salamon tsalamon at research.bell-labs.com
Sun Jan 1 02:40:17 CET 2006

I am running MikTex on my PC and pdflatex on an IRIX box. I am using
\includegraphics{filename} to include a JPEG file (filename.jpg) in my
document.

I find that, depending on how I create a JPEG from an EPS file, I am or
am not able to have MikTex or pdflatex successfully create a PDF file.
Below are cases that work and do not work using Adobe Photoshop and the
convert utility by ImageMagick.

Adobe Photoshop for creating JPEG from EPS
1. If I export the JPEG file using the CMYK color model I can create the
PDF file using MikTex on the PC, but not using pdflatex on the Unix box.
I get the following error message

pdfTeX error (ext1): invalid image dimension.
<argument> ...a =\hbox {\pdfimage {\Gin at base .jpg}
                                                  }\else \setbox
\@tempboxa ...
l.442 ....0in,height=2.3in]{Figs/domain_photoshop}

!  ==> Fatal error occurred, the output PDF file not finished!

2. If I export the JPEG file using the RGB color model I can create the
PDF file using MikTex on the PC and pdflatex on the Unix box.

convert utility by ImageMagick
1. If I convert the file using the RGB (convert -colorspace RGB ...)
color model I can create the PDF file using pdflatex on the Unix
machine, but not using MikTex on the PC. I get the following error message:

Warning: pdflatex: arithmetic: number too big
Warning: pdflatex: arithmetic: number too big

! Dimension too large.
,argument> \wd \@tempboxa

1.442 ...in,height=2.3in]{Figs/domain_convert_rgb}

<Figs/domain_convert_rgb.jpg, id=51, -18560.5pt x 0.0pt>
! Package graphics Error: Division by 0.
See the graphics package documentation for explanation.

2. If I convert the file using the CMYK (convert -colorspace CMYK ...)
color model I can create the PDF file using MikTex on the PC, but not
using pdflatex on the Unix machine. I get the following error message:

pdfTeX error (ext1): invalid image dimension.
<argument> ...a =\hbox {\pdfimage {\Gin at base .jpg}
                                                  }\else \setbox
\@tempboxa ...
l.442 ...=4.0in,height=2.3in]{Figs/domain_convert}

!  ==> Fatal error occurred, the output PDF file not finished!

If anyone has any suggestions as to why the results vary so much I would
appreciate hearing them.

Thanks.
Todd
tsalamon at lucent.com