[pdftex] Problem with nested hyperlinks in hyperref

Dario Teixeira nlv13684 at natlab.research.philips.com
Thu Feb 9 14:56:09 CET 2006

Hi,

I have come across an interesting issue with hyperref
and pdftex.  Whenever one hyperlink is nested inside
another, the entire remainder of the line is shown
as an hyperlink.

If you are wondering why on earth would someone want
to have nested hyperlinks, please take a look at this
sample document I created; it also displays the "feature":
http://www.dse.nl/~dario/misc/nestedlinks.pdf  [50KB]

(I am using the "glossary" package to create the notation
list; some entries are based on others, hence the need
for the nested hyperlinks).

Now, what I think is happening is that hyperref creates
a "begin link" tag when the outter box appears, and then
another one when the inner box shows up, but it does not
create any stack to keep track of how many links it has
started; when the inner box ends, it issues a "end link",
but not when the outter box ends, because in its mind there
is no link to finish!  For this reason, the link extends
all the way till the end of the line...  (Could someone
who's familiar with hyperref's internals confirm this?)

Anyway, is this a know issue?  And can you imagine any
workarounds?

Thanks in advance for your attention,
Dario Teixeira