[pdftex] [NTG-pdftex] 1.40-rc3

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Thu Dec 21 16:26:49 CET 2006

>>>>> "Hartmut" == Hartmut Henkel <hartmut_henkel at gmx.de> writes:
>>>>> "Robin" == Robin Fairbairns <Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk> writes:

Hartmut> the 14 fonts listed in the PDF Reference that must be built
Hartmut> into any decent PDF viewer, so it's not mandatory to embed
Hartmut> them into PDF files.  These are Times-Roman, Helvetica,
Hartmut> Courier, ZapfDingbats [and Symbol].

Robin> unless we declare adobe reader no longer "decent", this
Robin> definition doesn't work any more -- adobe only has minion and
Robin> myriad in the distribution (plus, i think, courier).

The current version (as installed on my laptop :) has the otf version
of Courier (called CourierStd, as is typical of Adobe's otf fonts), an
otf font called AdobePiStd which contains all of the glyphs in Zapf
Dingbats, and type1 versions of Symbol, AdobeSansMM and AdobeSerifMM
(in addition to the text cuts of MinionPro and MyriadPro).

They have always included the ability to emulate non-embedded fonts
with those two multiple master fonts.  The binary also has explicit
knowledge of some sort (found by strings|grep) of these font names:

,----
| Arial Arial,Bold Arial,BoldItalic Arial,Italic Arial-Bold
| Arial-BoldItalic Arial-BoldItalicMT Arial-BoldMT Arial-Italic
| Arial-ItalicMT ArialMT /Helvetica /Helvetica-Bold
| /Helvetica-BoldOblique /Helvetica-Oblique Helvetica Helvetica,Bold
| Helvetica,BoldItalic Helvetica,Italic Helvetica-Bold
| Helvetica-BoldItalic Helvetica-BoldOblique Helvetica-Italic
| Helvetica-Oblique
|
| /Times-Bold /Times-BoldItalic /Times-Italic /Times-Roman Times-Bold
| Times-BoldItalic Times-Italic Times-Roman TimesNewRoman
| TimesNewRoman,Bold TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic TimesNewRoman,Italic
| TimesNewRoman-Bold TimesNewRoman-BoldItalic TimesNewRoman-Italic
| TimesNewRomanBold TimesNewRomanPS TimesNewRomanPS-Bold
| TimesNewRomanPS-BoldItalic TimesNewRomanPS-BoldItalicMT
| TimesNewRomanPS-BoldMT TimesNewRomanPS-Italic
| TimesNewRomanPS-ItalicMT TimesNewRomanPSMT
`----

Even though it does not include any actual fonts named Times,
TimesNewRoman, Helvetica or Arial it does know the fonts, can
emulate them with its MM fonts, and can ouput postscript which
calls the fonts by name w/o having to embed them (relying of
course on the PS interpreters' ability to render said fonts).

That does seem sufficient to claim that it has those fonts (or
their functional equivilent, just like xpdf/poppler/gs).

-JimC (or Dev's_Advo, if you prefer :)