[pdftex] [NTG-pdftex] 1.40-rc3

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Dec 21 09:02:21 CET 2006

Hartmut Henkel <hartmut_henkel at gmx.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> > It would be helpful to have a definition for:
> >
> >      * standard fonts
>
> the 14 fonts listed in the PDF Reference that must be built into any
> decent PDF viewer, so it's not mandatory to embed them into PDF files.
> These are Times-Roman, Helvetica, Courier, ZapfDingbats...

unless we declare adobe reader no longer "decent", this definition
doesn't work any more -- adobe only has minion and myriad in the
distribution (plus, i think, courier).

and no-one nowadays imagines you can get away without embedding except
in the context of the most restricted distributions, or where the
precise shape of the glyphs isn't important.

robin