[pdftex] Compression, was: PDF 1.7

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 13:11:05 CET 2006

On 12/18/06, Michael Chapman <pdftex at mchapman.com> wrote:
> One of my gripes is those that insist on using secondary software to compress
> (almost invariably, single) PDF files.
> The compression tool used is often proprietary and/or platform-dependent.
>
> There's a need to push/remind that PDFs can be compressed without external
> utilities ...

well, but you will make it incompatible with older versions of
viewers. Since the latest version is platform dependent the person who
compresses to this level is guilty in the same crime. Also my
experiment shows that bz2 or gz provide (for my files) a better
compression than making document only pdf1.7 compatible