[pdftex] PDF 1.7

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Dec 14 10:26:59 CET 2006

James Quirk wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Dec 2006, Victor Ivrii wrote:
>

>> On 12/13/06, Martin Schr�der <martin at oneiros.de> wrote:
>>
>>> The new PDF Reference...
>>>
>>> http://www.adobe.com/devnet/pdf/pdf_reference.html
>>>
>> Now in color (look at Color Plates section which explains the size
>> grown to 31 MB)
>>
> My copy of PDFReference16.pdf has the same color plates as the new
> pdf_reference.pdf, yet it is only 9.1 MBytes. So I don't think the color
> plates are responsible for the bloating. But what I've noticed is that
> PDFReference16.pdf employs PDF1.5, with compressed stream objects, while
> the new pdf_reference.pdf has reverted back to PDF1.4. Therefore I'm
> guessing that it's the absence of stream objects in PDF1.4 that accounts
> for the dramatic increase in file size. Any ideas as to why Adobe reverted
> back to PDF1.4 for their new document?

maybe it's just that the book is in pdf/x compliant format which has  more conservative view on pdf (that way it can be handled by older printing machinery that has < 1.5 pdf rips built in)

anyhow, it's a big book with quite some content, fonts, etc etc so 30 meg is not that bad (and in prepress, books one fifth of that size but with more color and graphics easily can add up to 400 meg, so in some sense, given teh size, 30 meg is small).

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE