[pdftex] pdflatex and font embedding

Tim Arnold Tim.Arnold at sas.com
Thu Aug 31 15:53:02 CEST 2006

Re: pdflatex and font embedding (Reinhard Kotucha)
  >> I embed several images available in PDF format into my pdflatex
  >> document. The problem is that the images have their fonts
  >> embedded and so the documents becomes quite large.
> If you want to produce PDF you'll get better results if you use
> pdftops (which comes with xpdf).  It keeps Type1 Fonts intact.
>
> To convert the PS file to PDF, ps2pdf* is ok.
>
> Regards,
>   Reinhard
-------------------------------
To summarize what I think this thread has concluded:
Situation: including multiple pdf images in your pdfLaTeX document and you want to take advantage of font-substitution in current pdfLaTeX;

If the images do not start out with embedded fonts, you have to embed them yourself.
(1) You have to have Type1 fonts embedded, not Type1C.
(2) If you use gs to embed fonts in your images, they're going to be Type1C
(3) Until the bug is fixed in pdfTeX, there's no way to succeed.

If the images do have Type1 fonts embedded, everything is fine:
there's nothing you need to do but to use pdfmapline to define the substitution you want.

does this sound correct?
thanks,
--Tim Arnold