[pdftex] pdflatex and font embedding

Bernhard Walle bernhard.walle at gmx.de
Tue Aug 29 22:59:57 CEST 2006

Hello,

following problem:

I embed several images available in PDF format into my pdflatex
document. The problem is that the images have their fonts embedded and
so the documents becomes quite large.

Because the fonts are always the same: Isn't it not possbile to embed
the fonts once? The PDF images are generated from EPS sources using
Ghotscript. Font embedding is done using Ghostscript.  If I say
Ghostscript not to embed the fonts, the resulting pdf has standard
fonts (Helvetica, ...) in the image and not my special font.

At comp.text.tex I was told to add a line like

   \pdfmapline{=<nontfm> SMyriad-Light <8r.enc <smyriad3.pfb}

This doesn't change the behaviour.

The pdffonts output on one of the embedded PDF files looks like:

name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
SMyriad-Regular                      Type 1C      yes no  no       9  0
SMyriad-Light                        Type 1C      yes no  no      11  0
LetterGothic12PitchBT-Roman          Type 1C      yes no  no      13  0

I use pdfeTeX 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4). Can anybody help?

Regards,
  Bernhard