[pdftex] off-topic: OSS Watch Survey 2006 mention of TeX/LaTeX

Mick McQuaid mick at mickmcquaid.com
Thu Aug 17 22:58:16 CEST 2006

A few days ago, I saw a discussion on Slashdot about
the OSS Watch Survey 2006.

The story said the Survey "... shows rising support
for Mozilla Thunderbird, Moodle and Octave, though a
decline for OpenOffice and LaTeX ..." so I read the
comments on Slashdot and the report, which seemed to
claim that UK higher ed use of Tex/Latex dropped from
41% in 2003 to 20% now.  This claim appeared flawed,
but remarkable.

I just tried to find discussion of this in any lists
or groups devoted to TeX or LaTeX, but could find no
mention of it.  Does anyone here know where it would
be discussed or why it would not?  Thanks for any pointers!