[pdftex] [MiKTeX] Announce: epspdf[tk] converter

gnwiii at gmail.com gnwiii at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 13:03:45 CEST 2006

On 7/31/06, Siep Kroonenberg <siepo at cybercomm.nl> wrote:

> Announce: epspdf and epspdftk, for
> conversion between EPS, generic PostScript and pdf.
>
> Features:
> - optional GUI
> - user-configurable distiller- and settings
> - single-page selection from multipage document
> - boundingbox correction
> - grayscaling
> - configuration screen
> - settings stored in config file (unix) or registry (windows)

Thanks for this.  At least one overworked editor was delighted to get
epspdftk, and has used it to generate the web version of a typeset
report.  The .pdf images were a fraction of the size she was getting
from Adobe Acrobat (which has become too complex for many of the
people who are expected to use it), and she doesn't have to use
pdfcrop or pdftrimwhite.   One problem: a couple of the
author-generated ".EPS" files were not what they claimed, and were
failing until she used ghostscript's epswrite device (the files did
not use fonts).  I've been telling people that one of the advantages
of pdftex is that non-EPS files can be used for figures, so I'd be
interested to understand why they fail in epspdftk.    I'd love to see
an "any_old_crappy_PS_to_pdf" version of epspdf.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia