[pdftex] Adobe Battles Backward-Compatibility Woes

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Thu Apr 6 02:09:54 CEST 2006

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, holop ferenc wrote:

> hmm, Martin Schröder said that
>> http://www.pdfzone.com/article2/0,1895,1937092,00.asp
>> http://www.pdfzone.com/article2/0,1895,1937170,00.asp
>
> very interesting read, thanks.

Yes, interesting.  Here's a particularly intriguing nugget:

"This brings us to the eternal debate that rages on PDF-related
message boards: Should Adobe make the PDF spec a totally open
standard developed jointly by Adobe and an industry-wide standards
committee?"

"One side of the debate says that since public institutions such as
governments are legislating the use of PDF as their exclusive format
for electronic documents, shouldn't these technologies be public
property? ..."

"The other side says no way should PDF and Acrobat be entrusted to
Joe Everyprogrammer. Basement developers will kill PDF faster than
you can say 'Apple Lisa.'"

"A commercial company like Adobe, with its army of software
engineers, will make a far better product than any consortium of
volunteers devoting their spare time to concocting Acrobat and PDF
products."

I'm not quite sure to whom one should attribute the sentiments in
the last two paragraphs above, but you have to ask what rock they've
been living under for the past ten years.  I guess they haven't yet
heard about GNU/Linux, Apache, OpenOffice.org, xpdf, pdftex or the
other legions of high-quality free, open-source software that are
setting the standards of excellence these days.

"Joe Everyprogrammer", indeed!

Allin Cottrell