[pdftex] Re: pdftex] pdftex = acrobat ?

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Oct 22 02:33:27 CEST 2005

  > An easier solution to the problem of converting a collection of
  > JPEG images to PDF files is the ImageMagick convert utility
  > (standardly installed on GNU/Linux systems, available at

Unfortunately ImageMagick is incredibly slow and produces huge files.
Please compare this with sam2p:

  http://www.inf.bme.hu/~pts/sam2p/

BTW, I suppose that Thierry wants to create a photo album.  To produce
a slide show, I use pdftex directly:

slideshow.tex:
\pdfcatalog{/PageMode/FullScreen}\pdfcompresslevel=0
\pdfhorigin0pt\pdfvorigin0pt

\def\process#1 {\setbox0\hbox{\pdfximage width 20cm {#1}%
  \pdfrefximage\pdflastximage}%
  \pdfpagewidth=\wd0 \pdfpageheight=\ht0 \shipout\box0\par}

\everypar{\setbox0\lastbox\process} \input dir \end

Usage:

ls *.jpg > dir
pdftex slideshow

Some remarks:

  * \pdfcompresslevel is set to 0 because compressing a JPEG file
    means wasting time.

  * The width of the image is set to 20cm.  This value is is quite
    arbitrary, but AFAIK a page has to be at least 1 inch $\times$
    1 inch if it is supposed to be used in fullscreen mode.

  * To preserve the aspect ratio, do not specify width *and* height.

It's amazing how fast pdftex is if only primitives are used...

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25