[pdftex] Wrong search path for PDF/PNG/JPG files

Wlodek Bzyl matwb at univ.gda.pl
Thu Oct 13 23:07:43 CEST 2005

PDF/PNG/JPG files are searched in

    .../tex/plain//
    .../tex/generic//
    .../tex///

The search path for PDF files is documented in the
`example.tex' file (distributed with tetex, for example):

-----------------------------
\pdfximage {pic.pdf}    % read image pic.pdf (from path TEXPSHEADERS)
-----------------------------

On my system TEXPSHEADERS is set to:

    TEXPSHEADERS = .;$TEXMF/{dvips,fonts/{enc,type1,type3}}//

(I was not able to find what should be the search path
for PNG/JPG files.)

These locations are disjoint.

To observe this compile `picture.tex' with

     pdfetex --kpathsea-debug=32 pictures

where `picture.tex' contains the following lines:

------------------------------
\pdfoutput=1
% PDF
\pdfximage {pic.pdf}
\end

Note that pdftex treats PDF/PNG/JPG files as tex sources
(kdebug:kpse_find_file: searching for pic.jpg of type tex
     (from texmf.cnf))
That is strange.

Could the pdfetex program be told to search for PDF/PNG/JPG
files in subdirectories of `figures' directory for example?

I use pdfeTeX 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4) kpathsea version 3.5.4,
from tetex-src-3.0-6 on Fedora 4.

--Wlodek Bzyl