[pdftex] fonts

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Oct 12 21:49:54 CEST 2005

Christoph Bier wrote:

>- usage of PostScript code (he doesn't want to use ps4pdf or pst-pdf)

only important when you have embedded ps code

>- hardware limitations: faster dvi output (also with pdfTeX)

hm, and how about proper previewing

also, on huge docs, an extra dvi -> ps -> pdf sequence is no fun (i'm
currently processing 500 meg docs -)

>- "cleaner" color management via PS

eh ... this is  joke, isn't it? pdf's color model ok, and how about
transparencies and alike?

>- size of the PDF files because of the usage of CFF with Ghostscript
>or Distiller (with impressive examples)

hm, it all depends on the circumstances

>- optional subsampling of bitmap files to the same resolution

(pdftex can do downsampling of png); anyhow, i cannot imagien any
serious tex based workflow (editing cycles and such) where downsampling
is done each run (waste of time); normally one will prepare graphics
(either in advance or in a first run)

>- lots of warnings by AcroPro-Preflights on PDFs produced by
>pdflatex (the OP doesn't know whether this problem disappeared in
>the meantime; last time he tested was in August 2004)

that's a macro package issue; the code that pdftex produces is pretty
clean and only weird pdfliterals can spoil pfd-x

(what preflights are we talking about; i remember getting mails about
pdf considered being wrong because they were reported containing bitmaps
and rgb coors while they were actually all-outline and cmyk, so ...)

>And even using DVI you can use the microtypographic features with
>the DVI output of pdfTeX. Ok, font expansion then needs lots of disk
>space.

indeed

>>Reading the thread "pdftex
>>versus dvips" should give enough courage to make pdftex the typesetting
>>wonder of the future, even at the cost of loosing backward compatibility.
>>

>I use pdfTeX for some years now and never observed those problems
>except of bigger PDFs. Can any of those arguments above be weakened?

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE