[pdftex] Support for the integration of OpenType in pdfTeX

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Oct 11 09:52:40 CEST 2005

Georg Verweyen wrote:

> I just came along an article written by Adobes fonts program manager
> Thomas Pinney:
> http://blogs.adobe.com/typblography/2005/10/phasing_out_typ.html
> A brief abstract is: Postscript Type1 may rest in peace, it's no
> longer supported. Adobe is focussing on OpenType.

he forgot to focus on the top of his blog, i had to decrease the font
size (in firefox) two steps in order to get it visible (which rendered
the rest of the text unreadable); open type is of no help there -)

anyhow, indeed it gets harder to buy type 1 fonts, esp new or reworked
ones so the tex tools need to adapt to it; on the other hand, if we do
so, we should do it good; for instance, there are some aspects in open
type (esp implementations) that are rather messy (for instance, to get
latin modern open type working on a mac is painful due to some obscure
height/depth issues; bugs in programs become features and put demands on
fonts that are non conforming); also ... (see blog article) ... pdftex
could handle multiple masters and then adobe dropped it; so, even if
pdftex supports open type, i expect it do be done in such a flexible way
that we're not bound to third party limitations; (just like unicode.
open type does not address all texies needs, so in the end there will
still be additional goodies needed)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE