[pdftex] Support for the integration of OpenType in pdfTeX

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Oct 11 09:40:29 CEST 2005

Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

>Georg Verweyen <verweyen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > I just came along an article written by Adobes fonts program manager=20
>  > Thomas Pinney:
>  > http://blogs.adobe.com/typblography/2005/10/phasing_out_typ.html
>  > A brief abstract is: Postscript Type1 may rest in peace, it's no longer=20
>  > supported. Adobe is focussing on OpenType.
>
>Type1 is quite matured, it's good that Adobe treats Type1 like Knuth
>treats TeX.
>
>  > I believe it is one of the most important developments of pdfTeX to
>  > integrate OpenType support. This could, and I think it /should/ be
>  > actively and financially supported by the TUGs.
>
>  > I'd appreciate any comments espacially affirmative ones ;-)
>
>This already has been discussed at the last EuroTeX conference.  There
>are plans, and I'm sure that they will be financed by various TeX user
>groups if necessary, but providing OpenType support is a lot of work
>and not many people are able to do that.  Hence, be patient.

Thanh is looking into it. There are several lines of thought, one is incorperating (the generic) xetex functionality (a tex on the mac that does open type, including features, but has a dvi and/or apple-pdf backend).

So don't worry, pdftex will support open type in the end (btw, tex live will already ship with several open type fonts, like latin modern, iwona, kurier, antikwa, ...)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE