[pdftex] Support for the integration of OpenType in pdfTeX

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Oct 11 00:10:11 CEST 2005

Georg Verweyen <verweyen at gmail.com> wrote:

  > I just came along an article written by Adobes fonts program manager=20
  > Thomas Pinney:
  > http://blogs.adobe.com/typblography/2005/10/phasing_out_typ.html
  > A brief abstract is: Postscript Type1 may rest in peace, it's no longer=20
  > supported. Adobe is focussing on OpenType.

Type1 is quite matured, it's good that Adobe treats Type1 like Knuth
treats TeX.

  > I believe it is one of the most important developments of pdfTeX to
  > integrate OpenType support. This could, and I think it /should/ be
  > actively and financially supported by the TUGs.

  > I'd appreciate any comments espacially affirmative ones ;-)

This already has been discussed at the last EuroTeX conference.  There
are plans, and I'm sure that they will be financed by various TeX user
groups if necessary, but providing OpenType support is a lot of work
and not many people are able to do that.  Hence, be patient.

But if you see how pdfTeX evolved the last few months, you can be
quite optimistic.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25