[pdftex] pdftex versus dvips

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sun Oct 2 20:13:44 CEST 2005

Christoph Schiller wrote:

> I have always typeset it with dvips, not with pdflatex, for several
> reasons:
>
> - the pdf (at present 40 MB...) is considerably smaller when produced
> with
> dvips and Acrobat distiller;

that surprises me a little. it does not seem like a killer argument

> - I use raw postscript in the latex file (to make flip movies);

that would take some work to tramslate to PDF isms, but quite doable

> - I use pstricks and similar packages which also use raw dvips (I think)
> such as random picture coordinates.

_heavy_ use of pstricks is still a reason to stick with dvips, I'd say. the
alternative is to rewrite all the pictures in metapost :-}

--
Sebastian Rahtz

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk