[pdftex] Re: multiple embedded pdf figures

ivo welch ivowel at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 04:04:24 CET 2005

hi martin:  I am not sure I should waste everyone's time with installation
problems under gentoo, because it is not absolutely necessary for me to get
pdfetex to the latest version.  (it would be nice.)  so, please ignore this
email if it is a big waste of your time.

on a gentoo system, the base tetex system is 3.0-r3.  /usr/X11R6/bin is a
hard(!) link to /usr/bin, and this is where the binary pdfetex lives in.
Moreover, oddly, pdfetex.pool is in /var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdfetex.pool ,
although most of my texmf tree seems to live in /usr/share/texmf (159,480K
in /usr/share/texmf, vs the 24,420K in /var/lib/texmf).

I have already learned from Thomas that after the 1.30.4 configure and make,
I will get an error that bibtex.web is not there, but I can generate pdfetex
without it, merely by
  # cd /tmp/pdftex-1.30.4/src/texk/web2c
  # make pdfetex
and pdfetex and pdfetex.pool do appear in web2c.  I can then rename the old
binary pdfetex to pdfetex.old, move the new binary pdfetex to pdfetex.new,
and finally symbolically link pdfetex to point to the new version.  I can do
the same for pdfetex.pool.  (The instructions tell me to just replace.)
Then, the instructions tell me to run
  fmtutil --all
This is entirely unsucessful.  pdfetex.pool is not found, and therefore all
sorts of things go haywire.  I am guessing this is because the good gentoo
folks have moved some stuff around, and the default TEXMF search path does
not include /var/lib/texmf .

My Plan B was therefore to copy the pdfetex.pool file to the current
directory (my home directory) and try again.  The good news is that the
error message is changing.   It is now "! You have to increase POOLSIZE".
For example,

fmtutil: running `pdfetex -ini   -jobname=mptopdf -progname=context
-translate-file=cp227.tcx mptopdf.tex' ...
! You have to increase POOLSIZE.
Error: `pdfetex -ini  -jobname=mptopdf -progname=context -translate-file=
cp227.tcx mptopdf.tex' failed

(My only environment variable is TEXMFLOCAL, which points to
/usr/local/share/texmf, so I do not think I am screwing up here.)

So, stuck again...and again, I would appreciate help, but it is not
important.  Maybe it helps others to see what trouble I have run into here,
though, and perhaps learn from you how to fix it.

regards,

/iaw