[pdftex] Replacement for psframebox?

Geoffrey Alan Washburn geoffw at cis.upenn.edu
Tue Nov 15 16:21:50 CET 2005

I've been recently revising an old document and in a few places it uses
the following macro to put boxes around bits of syntax

\newcommand{boxy}[1]{\psframebox[framesep=1pt,linewidth=0.5pt]{#1}}

The problem is that I've become somewhat enamored with the new
microtypographic features of pdftex.  And is well known, PSTricks is not
compatible with pdftex.

I tried replacing \psframebox with a use of LaTeX's \fbox, but this
results in far more padding between the boxes' border and the contents
than is aesthetically pleasing.  I think I might be able to hack around
this by placing the contents in a box register and  mucking with its
size after the fact (much like \smash).

I've also seen a package called pst-pdf, but it isn't really clear that
this does what one might imagine.

So I figured I would ask if anyone out there has a better solution for
the boxing of text in pdftex.  Thanks!