[pdftex] Searching for german umlaute in pdf

Michael Bierkandt Michael.Bierkandt at gmx.de
Fri Nov 4 10:08:04 CET 2005

Hi all,

I guess this is really a FAQ but unfortunately I cannot reach the FAQ at
http://www.tug.org/applications/pdftex/pdfTeX-FAQ-scr.pdf and in the manual
I was not able to find a solution.

I typeset a german text and I am using german umlauts. Searching my pdf with
Acrobat Reader 7.0 I am not able to discover words containg umlauts (ö ü ö
etc.), although if I copy and paste a word into a plain text editor the
umlaut is copied correctly.

I am using pdfeTeX Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 and MikTex 2.4.1461

Beside I use KoMascript and the following:
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

Is somebody able to point me to the right documentation or tell me a
solution? That would be great!

Thanks a lot,

Michael Bierkandt