[pdftex] Man page for pdftosrc

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Nov 3 23:47:27 CET 2005

  > Further one could think about removing pdftosrc from teTeX and
  > create a separate project.

Why?  What is this good for?  Only because a few people think it is
obsolete?

My system is quite old.  I had been told that pdftosrc is obsolete and
I should better use AR7 or pdftk.  Unfortunately, neither of the two
programs work on my system.  AR7 expects the latest version of libc
and thousands of other shared libraries and pdftk doesn't compile at
all.  Maybe it needs a newer version of gcc which needs a newer
version of libc which needs a newer version of...

Making pdftosrc a separate package is probably the biggest mistake one
can do.  If it remains where it is now, it is guaranteed that it
always works.

My system is quite old and I cannot update it easily for many
reasons.  Though I cannot use AR7 or pdftk, I'm able to compile teTeX
or TeXLive from scratch without any problems and even the TeXLive
binaries provided by Staszek work for me.

I wonder why pdftosrc is not installed anymore.  I remember that it
had been in the bin directory some time ago and I always relied on it.
Who made the change and why?

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25