[pdftex] Man page for pdftosrc

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Thu Nov 3 13:50:47 CET 2005

Hartmut Henkel <hartmut_henkel at gmx.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Nov 2005, Frank Küster wrote:
>
>> Thomas, will you remove pdftosrc from teTeX; pdftex people, will you
>> remove it from the pdftex distribution?
>
> Why? What's wrong with it?

The explanation what is "wrong" with it was in my original mail:

,----

`----

> I personally like it, have been using it quite often to check stream
> contents. Pdftk can't do this in batch mode, given a single object
> number. IMHO no point to remove it.

I don't know where the original conversation with Reinhard and Heiko
took place, and whether they can read this.  It's probably you who
should find a consensus, we don't care.  All we care about is the
manpage, and

> If it's only the man page, this can be done. I mean a generic,
> traditional manpage (e. g. pdftosrc has nothing to do with TeX).

In fact it has been done, and all Hilmar and I requested that someone
from the pdftex team (or anybody else familiar to the program including
internals) can review the proposed manpage and approve it, or suggest
changes.

The answer to this was that nobody would do it because it is obsolete.
If you think otherwise, the best thing to do would be to review the
manpage at

http://tug.org/mailman/htdig/pdftex/2004-July/005228.html

resubmitted as

http://tug.org/mailman/htdig/pdftex/2005-August/005918.html