[pdftex] Re: pdftex] pdftex = acrobat ?

John R. Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Nov 1 00:45:02 CET 2005

On Wednesday 26 October 2005 10:12 pm, ivan lópez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to this list and new at creating PDF's with Latex, so apologies
> if this has been discussed here before...
>
> I've been making PDF's out of scanned images, much in the same way as
> the email that started this thread. So far I've been doing it with
> acrobat, but want to look into Latex for this.

You may wish to consider two other alternatives, plain pdftex
and Context. I use both and never plan on fooling with LaTeX
again. The _Pdftex Manual_ is excellent, and there are some good
examples in the file example.tex.

Every week I put together scanned graphics in a booklet using
regular plain.tex. I use a script of Ghostscript calls to format
it for local printing. Here is a typical plain tex file:

----------------------------------
\input epsf
\hsize 8in
\vsize 10.1in
%\voffset -.75in
\hoffset -.5in
\parskip 0pt
\parindent 0pt
\font\xx =cminch
\font\yy =cmbx10 at 15pt
\xx
\vglue 3in
\centerline{OCT 22}
\vglue 1in
\centerline{2005}
\yy
\vglue  1in
\vfil\eject
\null\vfil\eject
\epsfbox{pm662a.ps}\par\nobreak%entrance
\epsfbox{pm662b.ps} \vfil\eject %entrance
\epsfbox{ss20a.ps} \vfil\eject %gloria
\epsfbox{ss20b.ps} \vfil\eject %gloria
\epsfbox{ra140.ps}\vfil\eject %responsorial
\epsfbox{ss21.ps}\vfil\eject %gospel
\epsfbox{pm103.ps}\vfil\eject %offertory
\null\vfil\eject
\epsfbox{ss22a.ps} \vfil\eject %Sanctus
\epsfbox{ss22b.ps} \vfil\eject
\epsfbox{ss23.ps} \vfil\eject  %memorial
\epsfbox{ss25.ps}\vfil\eject %Amen
\epsfbox{ss26.ps}\vfil\eject % Agnus Dei
\epsfbox{pm659.ps} \vfil\eject %communion
Verses 1 and 2\par\nobreak
\epsfbox{pm150.ps} \vfill\eject %recessional
\bye

John Culleton
Books with answers to marketing and publishing questions:

Book coaches, consultants and packagers: