[pdftex] insdljs does nothing ?!

ivo welch ivo.welch at yale.edu
Sat May 28 17:40:54 CEST 2005

(tetex 3.0-r2, pdfeTeX 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4), kpathsea
version 3.5.4.)

dear pdflat-ex-perts:  apologies, but I need to beg for more help.  I am
trying to get insdljs to come alive.

    \documentclass{article}
    \usepackage{insdljs}
    \OpenAction{/S /JavaScript /JS (app.alert("javascript is
executing",3);)}
    \begin{document}
       Sample Document. This does not work.
    \end{document}

does not seem to insert this javascript into my pdf file.  I can
ascertain this with a grep for 'javascript is executing'.  (also, when I
display the pdf file through acroread, nothing shows up.)

james quirk was nice enough to send me a snippet that does work (grep
shows it, acroread shows it).  It is

    documentclass{article}
    \pdfcatalog {
       /OpenAction << /S /JavaScript /JS (app.alert("javascript is
executing",3);) >>
    }
    \begin{document}
       Sample Document.  This works.
    \end{document}

I would be happy if I could live with this snippet, but as soon as I
usepackage{hyperref}, it also stops working.  so I believe I do need to
get insdljs to work, because it can live nicely with hyperref.

am I doing something obviously stupid here?  help would be highly
appreciated.

regards,

/iaw