[pdftex] reference to remote document

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Thu May 19 13:10:49 CEST 2005

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 05:58:46AM -0400, Victor Ivrii wrote:

> On 5/18/05, Heiko Oberdiek <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
> > >

> \url{http://www.myserver.com/mydoc.pdf#nameddest=Page=12}
>
> does not.

Despite the forbidden second "=" it works for me
in the browser, mozilla, pdf browser plugin, both AR5 and AR7/Linux.
Are you sure, that the target name is "Page=12"?
Look into the pdf file, the /Names array should contain the
string "(Page=12)".

> However there seems to be a difference between
>
> *   \url{http://www.myserver.com/mydoc.pdf#nameddest=Page.12}
> **  \url{http://www.myserver.com/mydoc.pdf#Page.12}
>
> *** \url{http://www.myserver.com/mydoc.pdf#Page=12}
>

> The *** always works while *, ** only if document was produced with hyperref.
> And if *, ** work they work in the different way from *** if applied
> to book with
> first few pages roman numbered: Page=3 leads to Page iii while Page.3
> leads to Page 3, etc
>

> *** refers to physical page while *, ** refer to the anchor which
> hyperref puts on pages!

Again upper/lowercase issues:
* in parameters, upper- and lowercase does not matter:
  #PAGE=... #page=... #pAgE=... should be the same.
* in values of nameddest, AR differentiates between upper- and
  lowercase: #nameddest=page.12 and #nameddest=Page.12 are different.
* hyperrefs writes lowercase page anchors: page.12

> and nameddest is not applied to page at all.

nameddest has nothing to do with pages. It refers to named
anchors, hyperref sets a lot of them:
  At the beginning: Doc-Start
  \section --> section.1
  equation --> equation.1
  page anchor --> page.1

> Deviating from TeX and pdf I began to wonder, which other formats
> could contain anchors or pages which one can address?

HTML.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>