[pdftex] reference to remote document

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Sat May 14 15:59:49 CEST 2005

On Sat, May 14, 2005 at 09:09:19AM -0400, Victor Ivrii wrote:

> On 5/14/05, Heiko Oberdiek <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
> > On Sat, May 14, 2005 at 06:58:33AM -0400, Victor Ivrii wrote:
> >
> > > I know how to refer to remote/external document using hyperref package
> > > for LaTeX.
> > > Now I want to generate two documents: foo.pdf and foo2.pdf and in
> > > foo2.pdf I want to
> > > have a link to the place in foo.pdf which in foo.tex has label A.
> >
> > If "A" is a anchor name, eg. set by hypertarget:
> >   \href{foo.pdf#A}{some text}
> >
> > Or for \label{A}, look at xr/xr-hyper.
> >
> > Yours sincerely
> >   Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>
> > --
> >

> Thanks! It works as long as both files are produced with {hyperref}
> packages and foo.pdf (target) is produced with  {xr-hyper}.

Mixing with/without hyperref is problematic, for the target
an anchor is needed that is exported in the .aux file, that
is done by hyperref. In the other file the link is also done
by hyperref.

> Am I correct that
> {xr-hyper} just adds a pdf anchors to all \label ?

With hyperref \label writes the anchor name in the .aux file
that can then be read by other programs/packages in other
files, such as xr-hyper.