[pdftex] update to pdfbook utility

Jaap Eldering eldering at phys.uu.nl
Wed Jul 27 15:59:28 CEST 2005

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 02:13:11PM +0100, Tigran Aivazian wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Jaap Eldering wrote:
> >Thus I think that although it's functionality is fully contained in
> >the pdfpages package, it still is a convenient wrapper command-line
> >utility around that.
>
> The only non-trivial code in pdfbook.c is the one I "stole" (with
> appropriate acknowledgment) from psutils/psbook.c which does the page
> collation in the correct sequence. The reason I wrote that code is because
> I did not know that pdfpages has signature= parameter which has the same
> code written in TeX language.
>
> So, this collation can be done automatically inside pdfpages. Are you
> aware of this? If you are aware of this and still think pdfbook is useful
> then that's fine, I will gladly review your improvements and we'll
> together post it to ctan. But maybe you didn't know about signature=
> parameter of pdfpages and now you know and see that this leaves very
> little, if anything, to the usefulness of pdfbook? Please let me know
> your opinion.

Yes: I had to look up the code again (it's already 1-2 months since I
wrote it, but I see that I'm already using the signature parameter.
However this signature option in pdfpages does not support only
rearranging pages and not "nup-ing" them.

However I'm still convinced that this program is still useful. At
least at our study assiocation, where not everyone is tex-savvy
enough to use this pdfpages package and this is just a simpler
interface to the pdfpages package.

I already sent it to ctan, but I suppose it's no problem to send a
second revised version. So I'd be glad if you reviewed my improvements
and any bugs, suggestions are welcome.

Regards,
Jaap