[pdftex] otftotfm: using OpenType fonts with pdfLaTeX

Michael Saunders odradek5 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 09:47:28 CEST 2005

I'm trying to use Open Type fonts with pdfLaTeX by installing them with
otftotfm (from Eddie Kohler's LCDF Typetools,
http://www.lcdf.org/~eddietwo/type/index.html).

I'm beginning with a simple font, Adobe Trajan Pro.  I ran otftotfm with
these parameters:

otftotfm -a -e texnansx TrajanPro-Regular.otf -fkern -fcase -fpnum
LY1--TrajanPro-Regular
otftotfm -a -e texnansx TrajanPro-Bold.otf -fkern -fcase -fpnum
LY1--TrajanPro-Bold

and wrote the following .fd file:

\DeclareFontFamily{LY1}{TrajanPro}{}
\DeclareFontShape{LY1}{TrajanPro}{m}{n}{ <-> LY1--TrajanPro-Regular }{}
\DeclareFontShape{LY1}{TrajanPro}{b}{n}{ <-> LY1--TrajanPro-Bold }{}

The whole process ran without errors and my LaTeX document that attempts to
use Trajan Pro is accepted without warnings.  The problem comes when I look
at the result with Adobe Reader, which objects "Could not find a font in the
Resources dictionary - using Helvetica instead".  When I look under document
properties/fonts, it's not there.  I get similar results for .ps and .dvi
outputs. Apparently LaTeX is telling me that everything is fine, but doesn't
embed the font.

Does anyone know what's wrong?

-- m