[pdftex] Is \pdfprotrudechars=1 different from =2?

EvilborisNet at netscape.net EvilborisNet at netscape.net
Fri Feb 18 06:10:39 CET 2005

In the copy of PDFTeX manual I have handy [see rant below], it appears that

          \pdfadjustspacing

has three distinct meaningful values (0=off, 2=full-blown, 1=apply
after the line-breaking algorithm, so that lines are broken in the
same places where regular TeX engine does it).

There seems, according to the manual, that there is no corresponding
three-state switch for

           \pdfprotrudechars

However, pdfcprot.sty disagrees and has "yes", "no", and
"compatibility" options that correspond precisely to setting it to 2,
0, and 1.

So who is right?

Thanks in advance.

PS. \begin{rant} The manual I got off www.pdftex.org seems to refer to
1.20a.  I think I followed the pointer from www.pdftex.org, namely
http://www.tug.org/applications/pdftex/pdftex-l.pdf. I was hoping it
would match the current version of PDFTeX, but it does not.  I have
1.20b and I think 1.21a is current.
\end{rant}

PPS. Could I put in a "feature request"? Putting the version the
manual refers to in some more prominent place (like on the cover page)
rather than in small font someplace in the introduction (section
1.1.)?  Or is it just my old age and not so good eyes?