[pdftex] append pdflatex search path (TEXINPUTS, command line options)

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at arcor.de
Fri Dec 9 15:56:27 CET 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to build a make file that works both with Windows as well as
with Unix flavours of pdfLaTeX. During compilation I need to input lots
of files from different directories. Since I don't like to add file
system information to source files I tried to append pdfLaTeX's search
path.

Unfortunately, I observed that the pdflatex.exe distributed with MiKTeX
ignores environment variable TEXINPUTS. Though, I've found a command
line option `-include-directory', which worked for my purposes (I
attached the output of `pdflatex -help' at the end of this mail).
However, I've then been told that the pdflatex distributed with tetex
doesn't accept this command line option, raising an error.

Is there any portable recommendation to append the search path? It would
be a sad situation if not. I've already asked on the MiKTeX mailing
list, with the only suggestion to add a new texmf tree (where I don't
know yet how a portable solution looks like). Any ideas?

Regards
Stephan Hennig